Part-time Hourly Position
The Tool Library
The Tool Library (TL) is a nonprofit tool-lending library serving Buffalo and all of Western New York. The Tool Library’s mission is to provide communities with the tools they need to create the change they want. We believe that cost shouldn’t be a barrier to fixing up your home, growing your own food, or improving your community. Through a sharing economy model, members can borrow from an inventory of 4,000+ tools. These same tools also support community-based, issue-focused programming like urban reforestation, food access, greenspace development, and commercial corridor revitalization.
The Tool Library creates a work culture that values positivity, ingenuity, and personal development. We question traditional structures and hierarchy, promote equity, foster safer space for all people and are an equal opportunity employer. Black, Indigenous, and other people of color, queer, trans and nonbinary people, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Tool Library, Inc. is seeking a Part-time Operations Manager to join our team. Run as an all-volunteer organization for over ten years, The Tool Library has experienced significant growth in membership over the past year, increasing over 50% to more than 1,000 active members. In order to keep up with demand, The Tool Library Board has identified paid staff as an critical step in growing the organization’s impact and reach while also maintaining a level of service our members have come to know and expect.
The Operations Manager will primarily be responsible for managing daily operations. The Tool Library’s storefront is located at 5 W. Northrup Place and is currently supported by a dedicated team of 10-15 volunteers. The Operations Manager will work closely with these volunteers and will receive support and oversight from The Tool Library’s Board of Directors.
- Scheduling volunteers and shop hours
- Training volunteers on shop duties and basic power tool use
- Communicating operations policy updates to volunteers and members
- Leading monthly Operations Committee meetings and attending Board meetings (both held in the evening)
- Maintaining and repairing tools
- Purchasing new tools and equipment as needed
- Signing up new members
- Adding tools to inventory
- Checking tools in and out
- Organizing large-scale tool reservations for community projects
- Sorting and accepting donations of tools
- Updating and streamlining inventory via myTurn
- Following up with members on overdue loans
- Tracking daily financials
- Background in the use, maintenance, and repair of hand and power tools and general knowledge of mechanical systems
- Computer literacy skills (GMail, Google Drive, etc.)
- High level of organization and attention to detail
- Flexible, creative, and a problem solver who is able to learn on the fly
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Reliable and self-motivated, able to work independently without onsite supervision
- Ability to life/carry heavy items (up to 50lbs)
- Valid driver’s license
Expected Hire Date
January 10, 2021
The pay for this position is $20/hour and the position will be 20-25 hours a week. This is a 6-month interim position with the goal to work towards a permanent structure as The Tool Library evaluates how we will move forward with building organizational capacity.
The Operations Manager will primarily work out of The Tool Library’s storefront both during open hours of operation, which are Wednesday-Friday 2-7pm and Saturday 10am-4pm as well as outside of those hours. Schedule flexibility is possible based on candidate’s schedule as well as demands of the job and needs of the organization.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should apply by emailing a cover letter, resume, and contact information for two references to email@example.com with “Operations Manager” in the subject line. Please include why you think you’re the right fit for the position, what excites you most about the position, and what you can bring to The Tool Library team in your cover letter.
Applications are due by Friday, December 31st.
Interviews will begin soon after and the position will remain open until filled. No phone calls please.